Pickled Red Cabbage
|Red cabbage||2 1⁄2 Pound (1 Kilogram, Medium Sized)|
|White vinegar||1 1⁄4 Pint (750 Milliliter)|
|Allspice berries||2 Teaspoon|
|Whole black peppercorns||2 Teaspoon|
|Mace blade||2 Teaspoon|
|Whole cloves||1 Teaspoon|
1. Remove any damaged outer leaves of the cabbage, halve and remove the centre core.
2. Shred fairly finely and layer in a bowl with salt sprinkled liberally between each layer, finishing with a layer of salt.
3. Cover the bowl and leave to stand for 24 hours.
4. Place the vinegar and spices in a pan, bring to the boil and boil for 1 minute; then remove from the heat and leave to get cold.
5. Strain off the spices and store the vinegar in a sealed bottle until the next day.
6. Drain the cabbage and rinse to remove excess salt.
7. Dry thoroughly and pack into sterilised jars.
8. Pour the cold spiced vinegar over the cabbage to within 2 cm/3/4 inch of the top.
9. Seal tightly and use within 3 months or the cabbage will start to lose its crispness.