Stuffed Whole Cabbage
|Salt||2 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Luncheon meat||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped|
|American cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded|
|Onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Bread crumbs||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Tomatoes||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), diced|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon, melted|
1) In a kettle, add the whole cabbage with 1 teaspoon salt.
2) Add boiling water to cover the cabbage.
3) Boil for 30 minutes, till crisp-tender.
4) Remove from the water and drain well.
5) Slice off the top and carefully scoop out the inside, leaving 1 1/2-inch shell.
6) Place the shell in a casserole.
7) Shred enough of the cabbage center to measure 1 cup.
8) Mix together the shredded cabbage, meat, cheese, onion, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
9) Mix well and spoon into the cabbage shell.
10) Combine together the tomatoes, 3/4 cup water and the remaining salt.
11) Pour into a casserole around the cabbage.
12) Place a lid over.
13) Place in the oven at 350 degrees and bake for 1 hour.
14) Mix together the remaining bread crumbs and butter.
15) Take the casserole out of oven and sprinkle with the crumbs.
16) Bake again for another 15 minutes, till the crumbs brown.
17) Serve with pan drippings.
Calories 248 Calories from Fat 128
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g22%
Saturated Fat 8.2 g40.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 46.3 mg15.4%
Sodium 820.9 mg34.2%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g4.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.4%
Sugars 6.9 g
Protein 17 g33.4%
Vitamin A 17.7% Vitamin C 103.1%
Calcium 23.6% Iron 6.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet