Braised Red Cabbage
|Red cabbage||2 1⁄2 Pound, cored, halved, and tough outer leaves discarded (1 Large)|
|Unsalted butter||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried cherries||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Red wine vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Apple juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red currant jelly||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Black pepper||To Taste, coarsely ground|
1. Preheat the oven to 325° F.
2. Slice red cabbage thinly.
3. In a large heavy ovenproof pot, melt butter over medium heat.
4. Stir in the cherries and cook for 2 minutes until they begin to soften.
5. Add cabbage, vinegar, apple juice, red currant jelly, sugar, salt, and pepper.
6. Reduce the heat to low.
7. Cook for 5 minutes until the cabbage begins to wilt; stir occasionally.
8. Cover the pot.
9. Keep the pot in the oven and braise for 1 hour.
10. Serve hot.