Red Cabbage And Beet Slaw Salad With Currant Dressing
|Red cabbage||1 Pound, trimmed of core, then shredded with knife|
|Sliced beets||1 Can (10 oz), drained and sliced into sticks (julienned)|
|Walnut pieces||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dried currants||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), dried (A Couple Handfuls)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Apple cider vinegar/White vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Red currant jelly||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Prepared)|
|Extra virgin olive oil/Vegetable oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1) In a salad bowl, mix cabbage and beets, and sprinkle with walnuts.
2) Heat a small pot, add currants, water, lemon juice, vinegar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil.
3) Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir to dissolve sugar and transfer mixture to a bowl.
4) Mix in currant jelly and oil. Pour it over slaw salad.
5) Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat evenly with dressing.
6) Add more seasoning if needed and serve.
7) Serve immediately or serve chilled.
The salad can be stored up to 3 days in the refrigerator.