Sweet Sour Red Cabbage
|Red cabbage head||3 Pound, pounded (7 Large Pieces)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Vegetable oil/Bacon drippings, for non-vegetarian||4 Tablespoon (For Vegetarians)|
|Tart apples||2 , pared, quartered, cored and sliced|
|Bottled grenadine syrup||2 Tablespoon|
|Cider vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Trim the cabbage, cut into quarters and thinly shred.
2) Shredded cabbage should measure at least 12 cups.
3) In a kettle, heat oil or drippings.
4) In the oil, saute onion until tender.
5) To the kettle, add cabbage and apples along with salt, pepper and grenadine syrup.
6) Heat the mixture slowly until boil comes.
7) Cover the kettle and simmer for at least 25 minutes until cabbage is crispy tender.
8) Over the cabbage, drizzle the vinegar.
9) Toss cabbage to mix well.
10) In a heated serving bowl, spoon the cabbage mixture and serve as side dish.