Braised Duckling With Red Cabbage And Apples
|Duckling||5 Pound, cut into 8 serving pieces|
|Onion||1 Large, diced|
|Cooking apples||1 Pound, peeled and diced|
|Unsweetened apple juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Balsamic vinegar/Red wine vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red cabbage||2 Pound, cored and coarsely shredded|
|Raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Skin the duckling pieces using a sharp tipped knife to loosen the skin and pull it off with your fingers.
2. Trim off the excess fat and discard.
3. Heat a flameproof casserole over moderate heat.
4. Working in batches, sear the duckling pieces for about 5 minutes each side until evenly browned. Remove the pieces on to a plate and keep aside.
5. Drain off excess fat from the casserole.
6. Add the onion and apples to the casserole and sauté for about 10 minutes, until golden brown.
7. To the onion-apple mixture, add the apple juice, vinegar and sugar in the casserole.
8. Stir in the cabbage.
9. Bring mixture to a boil over moderate heat.
10. Return the duckling pieces placing them on top of the cabbage-apple mixture.
11. Cover the casserole with a tight fitting lid and simmer for about 1 hour, until the duckling is and cabbage is tender.
12. Finally stir in the raisins and add seasonings according to taste.
13. Cover, and cook another 5 minutes.
14. Serve the duckling with enough apple-cabbage mixture spooned on top.
Calories 705 Calories from Fat 280
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.9%
Saturated Fat 8.3 g41.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 385.6 mg128.5%
Sodium 324.1 mg13.5%
Total Carbohydrates 33 g11%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.5%
Sugars 23.8 g
Protein 72 g143.7%
Vitamin A 26.1% Vitamin C 130.3%
Calcium 12% Iron 61.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet