Little Cabbages and Kings
|Brussels sprouts||1 Quart|
|Sweet milk||1 Cup (16 tbs), scalded|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Blanched almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), slit lengthwise|
1. Wash and clean the sprouts before soaking in cold water for 15 minutes.
2. In the mean while, place 2 medium size saucepans, half filled with water on medium flame and bring water to boil.
3. Add a pinch of salt to one pan and a pinch of soda to the other.
4. Plunge the sprouts into the saucepan with soda and blanch for 3 minutes.
5. Drain and add to the boiling salted water and cook for another 6-7 minutes until tender crisp.
6. Drain in a colander and tip into a serving dish. Keep warm.
7. In the meantime, in a saucepan, melt the butter.
8. Blend in flour to make a roux.
9. Gradually add the scalded milk, stirring to make a smooth sauce.
10. Cook stirring constantly until thick and bubbly.
11. Take off the flame and stir in salt, lemon juice, mace and almonds.
12. Pour the sauce over the sprouts and serve hot.
Calories 495 Calories from Fat 169
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.3%
Saturated Fat 7 g35%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 34.1 mg11.4%
Sodium 283.2 mg11.8%
Total Carbohydrates 70 g23.2%
Dietary Fiber 11 g44.2%
Sugars 47.8 g
Protein 18 g36.9%
Vitamin A 41.7% Vitamin C 341.3%
Calcium 35.8% Iron 24.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet