Stuffed Cabbage Leaves
|Salad oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Raw rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Mushrooms||1⁄2 Pound, sliced|
|Onion||1 Medium, sliced|
|Seasoned salt||2 Teaspoon|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cabbage head||1 Large|
|Shredded parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canned tomato sauce||16 Ounce (2 cans, 8-ounce each)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
About 1 hour before supper:
1. In hot oil, in large skillet, heat rice, stirring, until brown. Add mushrooms, onion, seasoned salt, pepper, and water. Cook, covered, over low heat until all moisture is absorbedâ€”10 to 15 minutes. Remove, and reserve 14 of the mushroom slices.
2. Meanwhile, core cabbage, then remove 6 large leaves from head. Place leaves in bowl; cover with boiling water and let stand a few minutes until they become limp and easy to roll; drain.
3. Into rice mixture, stir Parmesan. Place about 1/3 cup of it in center of each cabbage leaf. Fold over sides of each leaf, then place seam-side down.
4. Finely shred enough cabbage to measure 4 cups; place in skillet used to cook rice mixture.
5. In small bowl combine tomato sauce, lemon juice, and brown sugar; pour this mixture over shredded cabbage. Top with cabbage rolls. Bring to boil; then simmer, covered, 15 minutes, or until shredded cabbage is tender-crisp.
6. Now lay reserved mushroom slices on top of cabbage rolls as pictured. Serve from skillet at once.