Rice-Stuffed Roasted Hens With Kale
|Olive oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped scallions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), chopped|
|Cooked brown rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cooked couscous||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Frozen corn kernels||1 Cup (16 tbs), thawed|
|Chopped fresh rosemary||1 Tablespoon|
|Cornish game hen||1 1⁄2 Pound (About 2 Small Ones)|
|Onions||2 Medium, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch thick|
|Kale||1⁄2 Pound, trimmed|
1. Preheat the oven to 425°
2. Heat the oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the scallions and garlic and saute 3 minutes, then transfer to a medium-size bowl, add the rice, couscous, corn and rosemary, and mix well.
3. Fill the hens with the rice mixture. Place any extra stuffing in a baking dish and cover with foil.
4. Line a roasting pan with foil and spread the onion slices in the pan. Place the hens in the pan and roast 15 minutes, basting with the pan juices.
5. Add 3/4 cup of water to the roasting pan, reduce the heat to 350° and place the dish of stuffing in the oven. Cook the stuffing and the hens 30 minutes, or until the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a sharp knife.
6. Remove the dish of stuffing from the oven. Transfer the hens to- a serving platter and cover loosely with foil. Scrape the onions and pan juices into a medium-size saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the kale and cover the pan. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer the kale, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes, or until tender.
7. Divide the stuffing and kale among 4 plates. Split the hens and place one half on each plate. Remove the skin before eating.