Sweet Sour Red Cabbage
|Red cabbage head||2 Pound (1 Head)|
|Boiling salted water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (To Cover, 1 Teaspoon Salt Per Quart Of Water)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Caraway seed||1 Tablespoon|
|Vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Set out a heavy 3-qt. saucepan.
2. Remove and discard wilted outer leaves from red cabbage.
3. Rinse, cut into quarters (discarding core), and coarsely shred (about 2 qts., shredded). Put cabbage into the saucepan and add water to cover, brown sugar, caraway seed.
4. Cook 8 to 12 min., or until cabbage is just tender. Remove from heat and drain.
5. Add to cabbage vinegar and butter.
6. Toss together lightly to mix.