Cornmeal Kale And Beans
|Dry red kidney beans||1 Pound, picked over and washed|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Large, unpeeled, halved|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Celery stalks||3 , quartered|
|Parsley sprigs||4 , tied together|
|Tamari||1 Tablespoon (Soy Sauce)|
|Kale||2 Pound, stems and tough veins removed|
|Boiling water||2 Quart|
|Cornmeal||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Stone Pound)|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Put the beans in a bowl, cover with water and let soak overnight. Next morning, drain, cover with fresh water and add the onion, garlic, celery, parsley, salt to taste, and tamari. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, until tender, about 30 minutes.
2. Break the kale into pieces and cook in the boiling water until tender.
3. Remove the onion, garlic, pars-ley, and celery from beans and discard.
4. Drain the kale, adding the liquid to the bean mixture. Stir the corn-meal and salt to taste into the boiling bean mixture, beating vigorously to prevent lumping. Cover and simmer slowly for 30 minutes, or until the cornmeal is done.
5. Add the kale and oil and check the seasonings.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3892 Calories from Fat 2061
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 234 g359.8%
Saturated Fat 32.1 g160.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1911.4 mg79.6%
Total Carbohydrates 392 g130.7%
Dietary Fiber 73.8 g295.1%
Sugars 21.9 g
Protein 94 g188.3%
Vitamin A 2808.9% Vitamin C 1874.5%
Calcium 144.6% Iron 148%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet