Cornmeal Kale And Beans
|Dry red kidney beans||1 Pound, picked over and washed|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Large, unpeeled, halved|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Celery stalks||3 , quartered|
|Parsley sprigs||4 , tied together|
|Tamari||1 Tablespoon (Soy Sauce)|
|Kale||2 Pound, stems and tough veins removed|
|Boiling water||2 Quart|
|Cornmeal||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Stone Pound)|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Put the beans in a bowl, cover with water and let soak overnight. Next morning, drain, cover with fresh water and add the onion, garlic, celery, parsley, salt to taste, and tamari. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, until tender, about 30 minutes.
2. Break the kale into pieces and cook in the boiling water until tender.
3. Remove the onion, garlic, pars-ley, and celery from beans and discard.
4. Drain the kale, adding the liquid to the bean mixture. Stir the corn-meal and salt to taste into the boiling bean mixture, beating vigorously to prevent lumping. Cover and simmer slowly for 30 minutes, or until the cornmeal is done.
5. Add the kale and oil and check the seasonings.