Butterscotch is most commonly used to add flavor to items including dessert sauce, biscuits or cookies and pudding. To the effect it is prominently present in butterscotch recipes of "butterscotch chips", prepared using hydrogenated solid fats which happens to resemble the usage in chocolate chips. There are also singly wrapped translucent and at times yellow colored hard candies having an artificial butterscotch flavor, unlike the real butterscotch.
Popular Butterscotch Recipes
- Almond Butterscotch Bars Recipe contains rich in a blend of flavors from dough, chips and nuts and is less chewier and more crispier.
- Butterscotch Cookies Crispy is one of the butterscotch recipes to make cookies using brown sugar and brown butter.
- Coconut Butterscotch Brownies is among butterscotch recipes that use butterscotch chips, pecans and coconut.
- Orange Butterscotch Cheesecake is prepared with old fashioned raw oats, grated Orange zest and softened cream cheese as the main ingredients.
- Butterscotch Sauce is used often on puddings, gingerbread, ice cream and other desserts.
- Butterscotch Pudding is made using common ingredients such as, eggs, milk, dark brown sugar, butter, vanilla extract and cornstarch or corn flour.
Preferable Cooking Methods For Butterscotch
Butter scotch can simply be made at home using a few accessible ingredients and methods.
Butter is melted in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. As it begins to melt, the dark brown sugar is incorporated stirring to blend in constantly. The mixture is stirred now and then so that it turns into being more molten from grainy. Thereafter cream is added and whisked using a wire whisk lowering the heat. Once the mixture has turned smooth, the heat is raised back to medium and whisked for about 10 minutes. Thereafter the heat is turned off and the liquid is allowed to rest to be transferred into a heatproof storage container or utensil. It is allowed to cool to room temperature. The butterscotch must be checked for its taste at this point to see if all the ingredients have blended well. Thereafter salt and vanilla extract are whisked in and tasted again.
Butterscotch Storing Tips
- Butterscotch can be added as a topping over ice cream makes it fabulous.
- To preserve butterscotch sauce it must be chilled inside a non-reactive utensil having a tight fitting lid soon after the sauce has chilled totally. It can stay on for one month when refrigerated.
Nowadays butterscotch is regarded as flavor, more like the caramel. It is famously found with soda fountains accompanied by banana splits, to become a favorite in America since 1950s.