Butterscotch is most commonly used to add flavor to items including dessert sauce, biscuits or cookies and pudding. To the effect it is prominently present in butterscotch recipes of "butterscotch chips", prepared using hydrogenated solid fats which happens to resemble the usage in chocolate chips. There are also singly wrapped translucent and at times yellow colored hard candies having an artificial butterscotch flavor, unlike the real butterscotch.
- Almond Butterscotch Bars Recipe contains rich in a blend of flavors from dough, chips and nuts and is less chewier and more crispier.
- Butterscotch Cookies Crispy is one of the butterscotch recipes to make cookies using brown sugar and brown butter.
- Coconut Butterscotch Brownies is among butterscotch recipes that use butterscotch chips, pecans and coconut.
- Orange Butterscotch Cheesecake is prepared with old fashioned raw oats, grated Orange zest and softened cream cheese as the main ingredients.
- Butterscotch Sauce is used often on puddings, gingerbread, ice cream and other desserts.
- Butterscotch Pudding is made using common ingredients such as, eggs, milk, dark brown sugar, butter, vanilla extract and cornstarch or corn flour.
- Butterscotch can be added as a topping over ice cream makes it fabulous.
- To preserve butterscotch sauce it must be chilled inside a non-reactive utensil having a tight fitting lid soon after the sauce has chilled totally. It can stay on for one month when refrigerated.