Making fresh cultured butter and buttermilk is easier than you think. Start with fresh whole cream, culture it, blend it, squeeze it, flavor it. Homemade butter tastes great and is easy to make! In this video, I also show you how to make unsalted and roasted garlic butter.
4 Cup (64 tbs)
1 Tablespoon (Optional)
1 Teaspoon (Optional)
1. In a bottle, mix 4 cups of milk with 1 ounce of whole fat yogurt.
2. Close bottle with saran wrap and keep in a warm place for 12 hours.
3. After 12 hours, pour the mix into a chilled blender and blend for about 2-5 minutes. This process separates the butter from the milk.
4. Pour out the buttermilk and press the additional buttermilk from the butter. The butter lasts longer without the buttermilk.
5. Add ¼ cup cold water to the buttermilk and blend again.
6. Remove excess water from the butter.
7. Add salt to the butter, if you want. Salting helps preserve the butter.
8. Roll butter into wax paper and mould into container to take shape and store. You can also freeze the butter for storing.
9. You can also add roasted garlic and salt to the butter for flavor.
10. Use the butter for stir frying other recipes or with your bread.
TIPS: If bubbles develop in the bottle, the mix has gone bad.