1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper and set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, mash black beans with a fork until mostly pureed but with some half beans and bean parts left.
4. Stir in condiments and spices until well combined, then mix in oats.
5. Divide into 4 equal portions and shape into thin patties.
6. Bake for 10 minutes, carefully flip over, and bake for another 5 minutes, or until crusty on the outside.
7. Slap onto a bun with extra condiments and eat!
Nutritional Information (1 burger): 109 Calories, 0.5g Fat, 17.6g Carbohydrates, 3g Fiber, 2.2g Sugars, 5g Protein
This recipe was excerpted from Everyday Happy Herbivore. To purchase the book, visit www.amazon.com.
I developed these burgers in a hotel room: they’re quick, easy, and require very few ingredients. (In fact, except for the beans and a seasoning packet, I sourced all the ingredients from the complimentary “breakfast bar.”) I make these burgers any time I need a super-fast meal or I’m really low on ingredients.