Key West Burgers
|Lean ground beef||1 Pound|
|Carrot||1 Medium, trimmed and grated|
|Onion||1 Small, finely chopped to make 1/4 cup|
|Salt free 14 herb and spice seasoning blend||1 Tablespoon|
|Key west marinade||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pita breads||4 Medium|
1) Take a large bowl and gently toss carrot, beef, seasoning blend and chopped onion in it. Shape the mixture into 4 patties of 3 inch width and 2 inch height. Loosely cover and refrigerate until ready to grill.
2) Either build a hot fire or set an electric or gas grill on high according to manufacturer-€™s directions.
3) Cut large onions crosswise and into 1/2 inch slices. Gently run metal skewers through each onion slice in such a way that shape is retained while grilling. Brush onion slices with Key West Marinade.
4) Grill onion slices over high heat for about 30 minutes or until tender and lightly charred upon being pierced with a knife. Keep turning and brushing with extra marinade. Remove from grill.
5) Half-way through grilling onions, place burgers on grill and cook for about 7 minutes on each side if medium rare is desired. Keep brushing with Key West Marinade repeatedly.
6) In the last 4 minutes of grilling time, grill pita breads for about 2 minutes or until lightly toasted on each side.
7) Serve burgers in pitas with onion slices on the side.