Academy Award Winning Chili Burgers
|White bread slices||1 , torn into small pieces|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground raw turkey/Lean ground beef||3⁄4 Pound|
|Canned black beans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), drained, rinsed, and coarsely chopped|
|Chopped coriander/Parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Canola oil/Vegetable oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped fine to make 1/2 cup|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced to make 1 teaspoon|
|Jalapeno pepper||1 , seeded and finely chopped|
|Ground cumin||2 Teaspoon|
|Onion rolls||4 , split and toasted|
|Shredded lettuce||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Garnish)|
|Tomato salsa/Your favorite purchased brand||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Prepare the grill.
2) In a medium bowl add bread, tomato paste, and water. Using a fork , mash the contents into a paste.
3) Add turkey, beans, coriander, thyme, and salt and pepper. Keep it aside.
4) In a small nonstick skillet, heat oil over moderate heat.
5) Mix onion and cook for 6 minutes till golden.
6) Add garlic, jalapeno, and cumin. Stir and cook for 2 more minutes.
7) If the mixture appears too dry add 1 tablespoon water.
8) Keep the mixture aside to cool.
9) Pour it over turkey mixture and mix gently.
10) Divide and shape into four 34-inch patties.
11) Place the patties on a lightly oiled rack set 4 inches over glowing coals and grill for 5 minutes on each side.
12) Alternately, broil the patties in a broiler 4 inches from the flame.
13) Serve burgers on the rolls garnished with the lettuce and the tomato salsa.