This week, Healthy Helpings TV's host Michell Koen takes a vegetarian burger recipe and adds back the beef! Why? This has the benefit of keeping the additional nutritional kick of beans (for fiber and added aminos) and Mushrooms (for more proteins) to provide a rich and earthy flavor. It is all finished off with an accompaniment of sweet chili sauce and a dash of Tabasco!
1⁄2 Small, finely chopped
1 Medium, finely chopped
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped
Red kidney bean
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), canned (100 g)
1⁄3 Pound (extra lean minced beef topside)
Cooking oil spray
1 Teaspoon (as required)
1) In a non-stick pan, saute the onions and garlic until translucent.
2) Add the spices and stir for a few seconds until aromatic.
3) Stir in the mushrooms and saute until soft and no moisture remains.
4) Remove from heat and transfer the mixture to a strainer to drain.
5) In a large mixing bowl, mash the red kidney beans.
6) Then add the mushroom mixture, beef and splash of tobasco, mix together thoroughly.
7) Shape the beef mixture into 2 large patties.
8) In a non-stick skillet, spray a little cooking oil spray and grill the patties for about 5 minutes on each side.
9) Serve the hamburger patties with whole meal English muffins, lettuce, tomato, avocado and sweet chili sauce or as desired.
Beef hamburgers cannot be always unhealthy. Here is a recipe that as good as a meat hamburger but is more healthy. Chef Michelle adds red beans and mushrooms to minced beef and brings out a healthy beef hamburger with extra proteins and fiber to the dish. This recipe also teaches us how to turn out our favorite unhealthy dishes into healthier ones by bringing about few simple variations additions in ingredients.