Healthy Beef, Red Bean and Mushroom Hamburger
|Onion||1⁄2 Small, finely chopped|
|Garlic clove||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Mushroom||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Red kidney bean||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), canned (100 g)|
|Beef||1⁄3 Pound (extra lean minced beef topside)|
|Tabasco sauce||1 Dash|
|Cooking oil spray||1 Teaspoon (as required)|
1) In a non-stick pan, saute the onions and garlic until translucent.
2) Add the spices and stir for a few seconds until aromatic.
3) Stir in the mushrooms and saute until soft and no moisture remains.
4) Remove from heat and transfer the mixture to a strainer to drain.
5) In a large mixing bowl, mash the red kidney beans.
6) Then add the mushroom mixture, beef and splash of tobasco, mix together thoroughly.
7) Shape the beef mixture into 2 large patties.
8) In a non-stick skillet, spray a little cooking oil spray and grill the patties for about 5 minutes on each side.
9) Serve the hamburger patties with whole meal English muffins, lettuce, tomato, avocado and sweet chili sauce or as desired.
Calories 349 Calories from Fat 107
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.3%
Saturated Fat 3.9 g19.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 46.9 mg15.6%
Sodium 53 mg2.2%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.3%
Dietary Fiber 8.3 g33%
Sugars 2.7 g
Protein 27 g54.7%
Vitamin A 0.2% Vitamin C 9.6%
Calcium 6.4% Iron 31%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet