Hot Cross Buns
|Plain flour||1 Pound|
|Milk||1⁄4 Pint, mixed with water|
|Water||1⁄4 Pint, mixed with milk|
|Caster sugar||2 Ounce|
|Chopped candied peel||1 Ounce|
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
2. Add half flour into the bowl.
3. In another bowl, combine yeast with little milk and water and whisk in remaining liquid.
4. Mix the wet mixture with flour and combine well.
5. Cover dam cloth over the bowl and keep it in a warm place for about 40 minutes.
6. Take another bowl and add remaining flour, cinnamon, salt, sugar, nutmeg and the remaining fruit.
7. Take a saucepan, melt butter and beat egg separately.
8. Combine all dry ingredients with the yeast mixture and combine softened butter and egg and blend the mixture thoroughly with hands.
9. Add it back to the bowl and cover it with damp cloth and keep it aside for an hour.
10. Create 16 equal portions out of dough and shape each of them using hands.
11. Take a greased baking tray and spread the shaped dough all over it and allow the buns to spread.
12. Create a cross on each bun using a knife or decorate it with a cross made up of narrow strips of pastry.
13. Allow it to remain in a warm place for about 40 minutes, and bake for 20 minutes at 220°C on gas mark 7 for about 20 minutes.
14. Brush sugar and milk mixture atleast 5 minutes before taking from oven.
15. Spread them over rack and cook and pack them in polythene bags.
16. Serve the hot cross buns on the eve of Good Friday.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2548 Calories from Fat 557
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 64 g97.8%
Saturated Fat 36 g180.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 345.4 mg115.1%
Sodium 386 mg16.1%
Total Carbohydrates 451 g150.3%
Dietary Fiber 21.8 g87.3%
Sugars 73 g
Protein 40 g80.7%
Vitamin A 37.1% Vitamin C 119.6%
Calcium 34.8% Iron 24.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet