|Ground almonds||2 Ounce, made into paste|
|Icing sugar||1⁄2 Pound (Made Into Glaze)|
|Shredded browned almonds||1⁄2 Ounce|
1. Sieve the flour and salt into a warm basin. Run the fat into the flour
2. Whisk the yeast in the warm milk and sugar
3. Beat the eggs and then add the warmed milk mixture to the center of the flour mixture
4. Make dough and then knead it till smooth and elastic
5. Allow to rise for 3/4-1 hour until double the size.
6. Make the almond paste and roll the paste into a sausage that is about ten inches long
7. Turn the risen dough into a board, knead lightly and roll into a strip that is about one foot long
8. Lay the almond paste on the dough and roll up.
9. Place on a warm greased baking sheet and then shape into a horseshoe
10. Prove again for 20 minutes and bake for 5-10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 400° F and bake again for 20-30 minutes.
11. Remove and set aside to cool
12. Cover with glace icing and sprinkle with almonds.
Calories 617 Calories from Fat 164
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g28.6%
Saturated Fat 8.6 g42.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 137.7 mg45.9%
Sodium 287 mg12%
Total Carbohydrates 102 g34%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9%
Sugars 56.8 g
Protein 11 g22.5%
Vitamin A 9.8% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 4.3% Iron 17.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet