Hot Cross Buns
|Strong plain flour||450 Gram|
|Mixed spice||2 Teaspoon|
|Caster sugar||50 Gram|
|Fresh yeast||18 Gram|
|Liquid||300 Milliliter (1/2 Milk/1/2 Water)|
|Mixed peel||50 Gram, chopped|
|Shortcrust pastry||110 Gram, cut into thin strips (For Crosses)|
1. Into a large microwaveable bowl, sieve the flour with salt and spice.
2. In a measuring jar, warm 250 ml of liquid in the microwave to lukewarm and dissolve the yeast and sugar in it. Leave aside for 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
3. Grease a baking sheet with butter or margarine.
4. Preheat the oven for 400 degree F, using conventional top and bottom heat before baking the buns.
5. Place the bowl of flour in the microwave and warm the flour by heating for 20 to 30 seconds.
6. Rub the margarine into the flour with your fingertips.
7. Making a pit in the center of the flour mixture, add the frothy yeast liquid.
8. Use a wooden spoon to make a sticky dough.
9. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the microwave by inserting the wire rack at shelf level "0". Turn the temperature control to 50°C and turn it off after 5 minutes. Allow dough to rise for 20-30 minutes.
10. Turn the dough out onto a lightly flour surface and knead in the currants and peel.
11. When smooth and elastic, return to bowl, cover and let rise again.
12. Knock out the air by punching the dough lightly and knead. Roll the dough into a log and divide into 12 equal portions.
13. Shape each portion of dough into a bun and arrange on a greased baking tray, keeping 2 1/2-inch space between each.
14. Place a short-crust cross on top of each bun.
15. Cover the tray with a clean kitchen towel and let the dough rise again for another 20 minutes.
16. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly browned.
17. In the meantime prepare the Glaze by boiling sugar in water for 3 to 4 minutes.
18. Remove and let buns cool.
19. Brush the buns with glaze.
20. Enjoy the Hot Cross buns warm, for breakfast or as a teatime snack.