Hot Cross Buns
|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Lukewarm milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All spice||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Melted butter||4 Tablespoon|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Chopped mixed candied fruit||4 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Take a bowl sift 1 teaspoon sugar with 1 cup of the flour.
3. Fold in yeast, water, milk and stir them well.
4. Allow it to stand for about 20 minutes to half an hour.
5. Similarly sift the remaining allspice and salt. Stir in ½ cup of the sugar.
6. In another bowl stir together egg and melted butter and add it to the risen yeast mixture.
7. Add fruit, flour and currants.
8. Spread the dough on a floured surface and knead it until smooth.
9. Portion out the mixture into 12 pieces and shape them into buns.
10. Set these buns on well greased and floured baking sheets and allow them to rise in a warm place until they are doubled.
11. Form the cross pattern on each bun by making two slashes.
12. Bake it for about 15-20 minutes at 375°F by placing it just above the center of a preheated oven.
13. Cool the buns on the wire rack. Brush the glaze prepared using 2 tbsps of water and ¼ cup sugar over the warm buns.
14. Serve as required.