Hot Cross Buns
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cake yeast||1 Ounce|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Unbleached flour/Whole wheat flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Dried fruit||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut up|
1. Heat milk, butter or oil, and honey to blood temperature.
2. When cooled to luke warm, add yeast and 1 1/2 c. flour.
3. Let rise until doubled.
4. Add fruit, which has been tossed in remaining flour, then salt, cinnamon, and egg.
5. Let rise again until doubled.
6. Squeeze and form into rolls.
7. Place on greased baking sheet, brush tops with beaten egg yolk and bake about 20 minutes.
8. Make a cross on top of each roll with the tip of spoon and glaze with mixture of powdered milk and honey.
9. Serve the buns warm for breakfast with jam and butter.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2749 Calories from Fat 666
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 76 g116.6%
Saturated Fat 47 g235%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 355 mg118.3%
Sodium 2239 mg93.3%
Total Carbohydrates 455 g151.6%
Dietary Fiber 22.6 g90.3%
Sugars 94.6 g
Protein 62 g123.7%
Vitamin A 37.9% Vitamin C 0.61%
Calcium 54.7% Iron 118.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet