Hot Cross Buns
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cake yeast||1 Ounce|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Unbleached flour/Whole wheat flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Dried fruit||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut up|
1. Heat milk, butter or oil, and honey to blood temperature.
2. When cooled to luke warm, add yeast and 1 1/2 c. flour.
3. Let rise until doubled.
4. Add fruit, which has been tossed in remaining flour, then salt, cinnamon, and egg.
5. Let rise again until doubled.
6. Squeeze and form into rolls.
7. Place on greased baking sheet, brush tops with beaten egg yolk and bake about 20 minutes.
8. Make a cross on top of each roll with the tip of spoon and glaze with mixture of powdered milk and honey.
9. Serve the buns warm for breakfast with jam and butter.