|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Powdered saffron||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Lukewarm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Dried currants||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Candied peels||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Grated nutmeg||1 Teaspoon|
|Sifted all purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Egg white||1 , slightly beaten|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Hot water||2 Tablespoon|
1. Scald the milk with the saffron. In a large bowl, combine the milk mixture, shortening, sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm.
2. Sprinkle the yeast on the water and stir until dissolved. Add the egg, currants, peel, nutmeg and enough flour to make a stiff dough. Knead until smooth and elastic.
3. Place in a greased bowl and brush the top with oil. Cover with a clean towel and let rise in a warm place (80° to 85° F.) until doubled in bulk.
4. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead one minute. Shape into eighteen two-inch balls and place in two greased eight-inch-square pans. Brush with egg white and cover with a towel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
5. Bake in a preheated hot oven (425° F.) twenty-five minutes, or until done. Cool on a wire rack. Frost with confectioners' icing.
Calories 631 Calories from Fat 177
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.8%
Saturated Fat 5.4 g27%
Trans Fat 2.2 g
Cholesterol 38.1 mg12.7%
Sodium 358.6 mg14.9%
Total Carbohydrates 101 g33.8%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16%
Sugars 33.9 g
Protein 12 g23.3%
Vitamin A 2.4% Vitamin C 23.5%
Calcium 7.4% Iron 24.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet