Banana and Apricot Chelsea Buns
|Skimmed milk||90 Milliliter (6 tablespoon, warm)|
|Dried yeast||1 Teaspoon|
|Strong flour||8 Ounce (225 gram / 2 cups)|
|Mixed spice||2 Teaspoon|
|Caster sugar||2 Ounce (50 gram / 1/4 cup)|
|Soft margarine||1 Ounce (25 gram / 2 tablespoon)|
|Ripe banana||1 Large|
|Dried apricots||6 Ounce (175 gram / 1 cup, ready to eat)|
|Light muscovado sugar||30 Milliliter (2 tablespoon)|
|Caster sugar||30 Milliliter (2 tablespoon)|
|Water||30 Milliliter (2 tablespoon)|
1. Lightly grease an 18 cm / 7 in square tin. Put the warm milk in a jug and sprinkle the yeast on top. Add a pinch of sugar to help activate the yeast, mix well and leave for 30 minutes.
2. Sift the flour, spice and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir in the caster sugar, rub in the margarine, then stir in the yeast mixture and the egg. Gradually mix in the flour to make a soft dough, adding extra milk if needed.
3. Turn out the dough on to a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Return the dough to the clean bowl, cover with a damp dish towel and leave in a warm place for about 2 hours, until doubled in bulk.
4. To prepare the filling, mash the banana in a bowl. Using scissors, snip the apricots into pieces, then stir into the banana with the sugar.
5. Knead the dough on a floured surface for 2 minutes, then roll out to a 30 x 23 cm / 12 x 9 in rectangle. Spread the banana and apricot filling over the dough and roll up lengthways like a Swiss roll, with the join underneath.
6. Cut the roll into 9 buns. Place, cut side down, in the tin, cover and leave to rise for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6 and bake for 20-25 minutes. Meanwhile, mix the caster sugar and water in a small saucepan. Heat, stirring, until dissolved, then boil for 2 minutes. Brush the glaze over the buns while still hot.
Calories 1126 Calories from Fat 151
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.2%
Saturated Fat 3 g14.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 106.6 mg35.5%
Sodium 675 mg28.1%
Total Carbohydrates 228 g75.9%
Dietary Fiber 12.6 g50.3%
Sugars 119.3 g
Protein 22 g44.2%
Vitamin A 65.1% Vitamin C 17%
Calcium 14.3% Iron 48.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet