Hot Cross Buns
|Yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Packets, 0.25 Ounce Each)|
|Warm water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Scalded milk||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Salad oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Eggs||3 , beaten|
|Currants/Raisins||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Egg white||1 , slightly beaten|
|Sifted icing sugar||3⁄4 Ounce|
1. Dissolve the yeast in warm water and 1 tsp. sugar.
2. In a large bowl combine milk, oil, sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm.
3. Combine 1 c. flour with the cinnamon, and add to bowl.
4. Add eggs and beat well.
5. Stir in yeast and currants.
6. Add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
7. Cover, and let rise until double (2.hrs.)
8. Punch down and roll to 1/2" thickness. Cut into 2 1/2" rounds and place on greased cookie sheet.
9. Cover and let rise until double. (1 hr.)
10. Cut shallow cross in each bun with a sharp knife or razor blade.
11. Brush tops with egg white and bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes.
12. Add icing sugar (about 3/4 c.) to remaining egg white.
13. Use for frosting crosses on warm buns.