Hot Cross Buns
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Packages)|
|All purpose flour||5 1⁄2 Cup (88 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dark seedless raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar icing||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
1. In large bowl, combine sugar, salt, yeast, and 1 1/2 cups flour. In 1-quart saucepan over low heat, heat milk and butter or margarine until very warm (120° to 130°F.). Butter or margarine does not need to melt.
2. With mixer at low speed, beat liquid into dry ingredients just until blended. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Beat in 1 egg and 1 cup flour to make a thick batter; continue beating 2 minutes, scraping bowl often. With
wooden spoon, stir in raisins and 2 1/2 cups flour.
3. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, working in more flour while kneading. Shape dough into ball; place in greased large bowl, turning dough to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place (80° to 85°F.) until doubled, about 1 hour.
4. Punch down dough. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; cut into 15 equal pieces; cover and let rest 15 minutes. Grease 13" by 9" baking pan.
5. Shape dough into balls; place in baking pan. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
6. Preheat oven to 350°F. In small bowl, beat remaining egg. Cut a cross in each bun; brush with egg. Bake 25 minutes or until golden.
7. Remove pan from oven to wire rack; cool buns 15 minutes. Prepare Confectioners'-Sugar Icing; spoon into decorating bag with medium writing tube. Fill cross in each bun with icing.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5010 Calories from Fat 1146
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 131 g201.2%
Saturated Fat 71.1 g355.3%
Trans Fat 3.4 g
Cholesterol 698.8 mg232.9%
Sodium 2387.2 mg99.5%
Total Carbohydrates 866 g288.6%
Dietary Fiber 28.2 g112.8%
Sugars 298.2 g
Protein 106 g212.8%
Vitamin A 72.9% Vitamin C 7%
Calcium 66.8% Iron 220.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet