This is the Veggie Kitchen version of the classic brownie. The carob gives this brownie a wonderful flavor and makes a delicious alternative to chocolate.
Whole wheat flour
2 Cup (32 tbs), divided (1 cup for brownies and 1 cup for frosting)
1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped
Organic non-fat yogurt
Safflower oil/Canola oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment lined
3. Mix together the flour, carob powder, baking powder, baking soda, carob chips and walnuts.
4. Mix together the yogurt, sugar, oil and vanilla in a separate bowl.
5. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, stirring quickly and lightly until just mixed.
6. Pour the batter into the parchment lined baking pan and bake for 18 to 20 minutes on 350 degrees F. Test to see if cooked by inserting a toothpick in mixture.
To make the Frosting:
7. Prepare a double boiler and heat water in the lower pan to boiling.
8. Add 1 tablespoon of food grade coconut oil and remove from the heat.
9. Add 1 cup of carob chips and let sit for a couple of minutes
10. Stir well and pour over the top of the brownie.
11. Let frosting cool and harden.
12. Cut into squares and serve.
Carob powder can be purchased raw or roasted. I used roasted carob powder in this recipe because I like the flavor better than the raw carob.
The carob chips I used are made with turbinado sugar. There is a variety of carob chip that does not have sugar but these chips do not melt very well so I use the sugar ones for baking.