|Meaty beef bones/Short ribs||2 Pound, cut into 3-inch pieces (Shank)|
|Beef knuckle bones||2 Pound, cracked|
|Cut up carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Celery stalks with leaves||2 , cut into 2-inch pieces|
|Onions||2 Small, quartered|
|Water||10 Cup (160 tbs)|
|Canned chopped tomatoes||8 Ounce, undrained (1 Cup)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh parsley sprigs||2|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), pressed|
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. In large roasting pan, place all bones.
3. Bake it uncovered at 450°F for 30 minutes.
4. Add in carrots, celery and onions.
5. Turn the bones and vegetables in between while baking, bake for 45 to 60 minutes until bones are deep brown, but not charred.
6. In an 8-quart stockpot or two 5-quart Dutch, transfer all ingredients.
7. Discard the fat in roasting pan.
8. Add 2 cups of water to roasting pan, heat and scrape off any browned meat drippings.
9. Pour in remaining water and hot liquid over the bones and vegetables in the stockpot.
10. Bring the contents to boil.
11. Decrease heat, cook covered for 30 minutes.
12. Remove any residue that rise up to surface.
13. Add all remaining ingredients except 1/2 teaspoon salt, cook partially covered for additional 5 hours.
14. Remove the bones and strain broth.
15. Next, stir in 3/4 teaspoon salt.
16. Cool it uncovered in refrigerator.
17. Cover it and store in refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze it for up to 6 months.
18. Skim the fat off from broth.
19. Serve hot.
Calories 63 Calories from Fat 3
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.37 g0.57%
Saturated Fat 0.08 g0.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1206.1 mg50.3%
Total Carbohydrates 14 g4.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g14.2%
Sugars 4.5 g
Protein 2 g4.4%
Vitamin A 118.6% Vitamin C 24.3%
Calcium 6% Iron 7.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet