|Lamb neck||2 1⁄2 Pound, cut crosswise through bone|
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Pearl barley||2 Tablespoon|
|Peeled potato||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced (1/4 Inch)|
|Pared carrot||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced (1/4 Inch)|
|Pared turnip||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced (1/4 Inch)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
1. Wipe lamb with damp paper towels.
2. In 6-quart kettle or Dutch oven, combine lamb, salt, pepper- corns, barley and 1-1/2 quarts water.
3. Bring to boiling simmer, covered for 2 hours and remove lamb from broth.
4. Separate meat from fat and bones cut in 1/2-inch pieces and set aside.
5. Skim fat from broth and measure broth to get 5 cups and add water if needed.
6. Return broth to kettle add meat and chill overnight.
7. Next day, remove fat from broth and discard.
8. Bring to boiling and add vegetables.
9. Return to boiling, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 1 hour.
10. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.