Join Toby on this video as she prepares a dish from the Mediterranean Diet Cookbook for Dummies (2012, Jogn Wiley & Sons), written by fellow Registered Dietitians Meri Raffetto and Wendy Jo Peterson. Simple, easy and 12 grams of carbohydrate will fit your diabetes lifestyle perfectly.
Roma tomatoes/Cherry tomatoes
2 Cup (32 tbs)
1 Clove (5 gm), minced
1. Preheat the oven at 450 degrees F.
2. Trim the broccoli, cutting into florets, 1 stem each.
3. In a microwave proof bowl add in the broccoli and 1/4th cup of water. Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
4. Take out the broccoli from the microwave and drain. Place over the kitchen towel and pat dry. Set aside in a large bowl.
5. Quarter the cherry tomatoes and place in the same bowl in which broccoli is kept. Toss together.
6. Drizzle olive oil over the broccoli and toss.
7. Spread the mixture over the baking sheet. Roast in oven for 12 – 15 minutes, or until broccoli begins to brown.
8. Meanwhile in a medium bowl combine together balsamic vinegar, honey, oregano, salt and garlic.
9. Take out the broccoli from the oven and place in a bowl. Drizzle the balsamic mixture and toss well.
10. Serve Roasted Broccoli and Tomatoes with tossed salad.