Steamed Broccoli Stems
|Fresh broccoli||3 Pound|
|Sliced pimiento||1 Ounce, drained (1 Jar)|
1) Trim the leaves and rough ends off the lower stalks of the broccoli.
2) Rinse the broccoli.
3) Take the flowerets out and reserve them for other uses.
4) Peel the stems, if preferred, and then cut crosswise into slices about ¼-inch thick.
5) In a vegetable steamer, arrange the broccoli.
6) Over boiling water, place the broccoli and cover the steamer. Steam for about 5 minutes, till the broccoli is crisp-tender.
7) Put the broccoli on a serving platter and sprinkle salt and pepper all over.
8) Serve the steamed broccoli while it is still hot. Use pimiento to garnish. Makes a healthy and quick appetizer. Can also be served as a side dish.