|Broccoli florets||3⁄4 Pound|
|Spinach||1 1⁄4 Pound, heavy stems removed, washed well|
|Finely chopped onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|White mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound|
|Whole milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Plus More As Needed)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Heavy cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Mayonnaise||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Shredded mild white cheddar cheese||3 Ounce (1 Cup)|
|Bread croutons||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Stuffing, Small Plain Or Herbed)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 12 x 9 x 2-inch or similar casserole.
2. Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat then boil the broccoli florets until tender and bright green, 6 minutes and not more. Remove the broccoli with a skimmer or slotted spoon and plunge them into a bowl of cold water to stop them from cooking. Drain the broccoli florets from the cold water after a couple of minutes and transfer them to a large bowl.
3. Meanwhile, keep the water in the saucepan at a boil, then add the spinach and cook until it wilts, about 1 minute. Drain the spinach well, squeezing the excess water out with your hands once it’s cool enough to handle. Chop the spinach and set aside in the bowl with the broccoli florets. Add the onion to the bowl and toss the vegetables well.
4. Place the mushrooms, milk, flour, a little salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the heavy cream and blend briefly.
5. In a bowl, beat the eggs, then stir in the mayonnaise, reserved mushroom sauce from the blender, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper. Add the cooked vegetables and toss well. Transfer to the buttered casserole.
6. In a bowl, combine the cheddar cheese and croutons, tossing to mix and then sprinkle on top of the vegetables. Bake until the cheese is melted and the edges of the casserole are bubbling, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Image and Recipe © Clifford A. Wright
This recipe is excerpted from the book Bake Until Bubbly by Clifford A. Wright.For more information or to purchase the book, please visit CliffordAWright.Com.