Spicy Barbecued Brisket
|Beef brisket||5 Pound, trimmed of excess fat (2.5 kilogram, 1 whole)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), cut into slivers|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Coarse salt/Kosher salt||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried thyme||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Barbecue sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (basic type, adjust quantity as needed)|
1. Prepare small slits in the cut of meat and poke small slivers of garlic into the cuts in the meat.
2. Rub the brisket with oil
3. Prepare a rub of salt, thyme, pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper. Rub this dry rub over the meat.
4. Prepare the grill for indirect-heat cooking. Place an oiled baking tray in the oven 4-6 inches away from the heat.
5. Place the brisket on the rack and ensure that it is not under direct heat. Turn the meat during the cooking process and baste occasionally with the marinade. Cook the meat for one hour.
6. Brush with more of the marinade and cook for 1-1 1/4 hour longer. Brush with the marinade atleast two or three times.
7. Remove from the grill and let it rest for 10 minutes
8. Carve the meat across the grain
9. Place on the serving tray and spoon a little sauce over the meat. Pass the rest of the sauce at the table
Calories 1527 Calories from Fat 1046
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 116 g178.7%
Saturated Fat 43.8 g219%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 385.5 mg128.5%
Sodium 1681.1 mg70%
Total Carbohydrates 8 g2.8%
Dietary Fiber 1.9 g7.6%
Sugars 3 g
Protein 105 g210.7%
Vitamin A 27.2% Vitamin C 8.8%
Calcium 8.6% Iron 71%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet