Spiced Brisket Of Beef
|Lean beef brisket||4 Pound, boned|
|Kosher salt||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Saltpeter||1 Teaspoon (Potassium Nitrate)|
|Brown sugar||4 Tablespoon|
|Powdered cloves||1 Teaspoon|
|Powdered mace||1 Teaspoon|
|Crushed black peppercorns||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Wipe the boned meat with a clean damp towel. Keep in a large bowl.
2) Rub 1 1/2 cups of the salt on the meat.
3) Cover with a cheesecloth and keep away for a day in lower part of refrigerator or in a cool place.
4) Let stand the beef to steep in spices for 8 days before being cooked.
5) Skin and finely chop shallots and bay leaves.
6) In a bowl, take remaining salt and mix rest of the ingredients and shallots and bay leaves together.
7) Rub the mixture on salted meat everyday. Drain off liquid collected in the bowl.
8) All the spiced mixture should get used in the 7 days.
9) Roll spiced meat and tie with string securely.
10) Place meat into a large pot.
11) Cover with warm water. Cook covered in simmering heat for 4-5 hours till meat is tender.
12) After the meat cools in the liquid take it out.
13) Keep it between two plates with a heavy weight on top and keep it pressed for 8 hours.
14) Serve cold, sliced, along with baked potatoes, salads, pickled beets, and gherkins.
15) This dish is ideal for summer, for a buffet or a large dinner party.
Calories 149 Calories from Fat 24
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.2%
Saturated Fat 1.1 g5.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 14.2 mg4.7%
Sodium 1908.1 mg79.5%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g8%
Dietary Fiber 1.9 g7.5%
Sugars 11.1 g
Protein 8 g15.3%
Vitamin A 44.3% Vitamin C 23.4%
Calcium 5.1% Iron 8.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet