Crunchy Bread Sticks
|Boiling water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Lukewarm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|Flour||3 1⁄4 Cup (52 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 425°F
2) In a cup pour the boiling water and add sugar, salt and shortening and let this cool till lukewarm.
3) In a separate bowl, mix the lukewarm water, 1 teaspoon sugar and the yeast and let it stand for about 10 minutes
4) Add in the shortening mixture to the yeast solution and stir.
5) Add two cups of flour to this and mix well â€“ add about 1 Â¼ cups more of flour to this while kneading
6) Transfer the dough on a board and knead.
7) After some kneading, let it stand for an hour so that it rises.
8) Punch the dough once and let it rise again until double, about 30 minutes.
9) Keep kneading until it is smooth and then divide it into two.
10) For each half, further divide into 16 pieces.
11) Make a stick from each piece and place 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet and sprinkle it with corn-meal.
12) Let it rise for about 15 minutes without cover
13) Brush the sticks once with cold water and let them rise again until they are almost double in size (about 20 minutes)
14) Meanwhile, place a shallow pan of water in the pre-heated oven at 425°F.
15) Open the oven and remove the pan of water so that sticks are baked in steam-filled oven for about 10 minutes
16) Open the oven once and quickly brush the sticks with cold water and continue baking 10 minutes longer.
17) Let the sticks cool
18) Serve cool as snacks
Calories 531 Calories from Fat 111
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.5%
Saturated Fat 3 g15.1%
Trans Fat 1.5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 494.9 mg20.6%
Total Carbohydrates 91 g30.5%
Dietary Fiber 3.7 g14.8%
Sugars 5.3 g
Protein 12 g23.1%
Vitamin A 0.01% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 1.9% Iron 28.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet