|Active dry yeast||2 1⁄4 Teaspoon (1 package)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs), warmed to 105 to115 degree f|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs), warmed to 105-115°|
|All-purpose flour/Bread flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|All purpose flour/Bread flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Sesame/Poppy seeds/coarse salt||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a cup, dissolve active dry yeast and sugar in warm water
2. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes until frothy.
3. Grease 3 cookie sheets with oil or butter.
4. 25 minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 350°F.
5. In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 ½ cups flour with salt and oil
6. Stir yeast starter into flour and mix quickly to bind.
7. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 10 minutes with back of your palm, adding more flour if required until dough is soft smooth and pliable.
8. Make into a tight ball and place in an oiled bowl, turn it over to grease the surface.
9. Cover bowl with kitchen cloth and leave in a warm place for about 1 ½ hours to ferment until dough has doubled in volume.
10. Punch dough down to knock out air and knead it lightly.
11. Divide into a 36 equal portions
12. Roll each portion into a 8-inch long even thickness strand and arrange on cookie sheet, 1-inch apart.
13. Cover loosely with cloth and set in warm area (near the preheating oven) to prove for another 25 minutes until slightly risen.
14. Give sticks an egg wash and sprinkle with seeds or salt.
15. Bake sticks in preheated oven for about 25 minutes until golden and dry.
16. Remove, slide on to a rack and let cool and harden.
17. Pile into a bread basket and serve along with soups.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3405 Calories from Fat 589
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 68 g104.3%
Saturated Fat 9.2 g45.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 2978.9 mg124.1%
Total Carbohydrates 599 g199.6%
Dietary Fiber 26.2 g104.6%
Sugars 17.3 g
Protein 90 g180.5%
Vitamin A 0.1% Vitamin C 0.06%
Calcium 41.6% Iron 228.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet