|Sifted all purpose flour||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Cornmeal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Coarse salt||To Taste|
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F
2. Grease a baking sheet with oil.
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Stir into this the cornmeal.
5. Cut shortening into small cubes and add to bowl.
6. Using your finger tips rub the fat into the flour until mixture resembles breadcrumbs
7. Combine milk and egg in a cup.
8. Pour into the dry ingredients.
9. Using a palette knife, stir lightly to bind mixture into a dough.
10. Turn dough out on lightly floured surface and knead lightly.
11. Divide into 18 equal pieces.
12. Rolling into pencil like strands.
13. Place on greased baking sheet, keeping a little space between each.
14. Brush with water and sprinkle coarse salt.
15. Bake at for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown and hard.
16. Remove from oven and slide onto a wire rack. Allow to cool and harden.
17. Serve with soup or your favorite dips.
18. Store them in an airtight container in a cool dry place.