Three Grain Breadsticks
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Whole-wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Approximately)|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Rye flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Coarsely ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground red pepper||1 Pinch|
1. Place the yeast in a large bowl, add 1 cup of warm water (105-115°) and cover the bowl with plastic wrap; set aside for 10 minutes.
2. In another large bowl combine 1 cup of whole wheat flour, the all-purpose and rye flours, black pepper, salt and ground red pepper. Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the yeast mixture until a stiff dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead it, adding more flour if necessary, 8 to 10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Spray the bowl with nonstick cooking spray, place the dough in the bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the dough is doubled in bulk.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°. Sprinkle two nonstick baking sheets lightly with the cornmeal.
4. Punch down the dough and knead it 2 to 3 minutes, then let it rest 10 minutes. Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces, then divide each piece into 10 equal parts. With floured hands, quickly roll each piece of dough into a stick about 12 inches long and 1/4 inch thick. Place the breadsticks on the baking sheets and bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned, switching the position of the baking sheets halfway through the baking time.
5. Transfer the breadsticks to wire racks to cool, then leave at room temperature, uncovered, for 12 to 24 hours to crisp. Store the breadsticks loosely wrapped to keep them crisp.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1242 Calories from Fat 57
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.5%
Saturated Fat 1 g5.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1001.6 mg41.7%
Total Carbohydrates 262 g87.3%
Dietary Fiber 36.3 g145%
Sugars 1.7 g
Protein 45 g89.4%
Vitamin A 4.6% Vitamin C 2.5%
Calcium 12.4% Iron 102%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet