|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Lukewarm water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Whole wheat flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Coarse salt||To Taste|
1. Dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
2. Combine the salt, sugar, and 3 cups flour in a bowl. Stir in the yeast mixture and enough of the remaining flour to make a fairly stiff dough.
3. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
4. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and satiny. Divide dough into 48 pieces and roll each one into a rope 1/2 inch in diameter and 9 inches long. Place on oiled baking sheets.
5. Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle generously with coarse salt. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until browned.