|Whole wheat flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Nonfat buttermilk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
3. Stir in the buttermilk and mix until dry ingredients are just moist.
4. Knead the dough on a floured surface for 2 minutes. Shape into a ball.
5. Place dough on a nonstick baking sheet, or on a baking sheet lined with a baking sheet liner. Flatten into a 7-inch round, 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut an X across the loaf.
6. Bake for 40 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when the bottom is tapped. Cool on a rack.
7. Cut into 9 wedges.
Variation â– Add cinnamon, nutmeg, caraway seeds, raisins, apple sauce, chopped apples, or dried apricots in Step 2.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1497 Calories from Fat 118
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g20.8%
Saturated Fat 1 g5.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1778.4 mg74.1%
Total Carbohydrates 311 g103.8%
Dietary Fiber 35.4 g141.5%
Sugars 1.4 g
Protein 50 g99.1%
Vitamin A 0.5% Vitamin C
Calcium 47.7% Iron 94%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet