It's so easy to make your own sandwich bread at home, and that way you know there are no preservatives, dough conditioners, or other artificial ingredients. This is a homemade sandwich recipe made from scratch.
1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)
Rapid rise yeast
2 1⁄4 Teaspoon
All purpose flour
17 1⁄2 Ounce (3 1/2 cups)
For dusting and greasing
2 Tablespoon (For dusting)
1 Teaspoon (For greasing)
1. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
2. Add the milk and honey, and bring the temperature up to 115 degrees.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the yeast. Let this mixture sit for 10 minutes until bubbly and foamy.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour and salt. Mix well.
5. Fit the machine with the dough hook, and pour in the liquid ingredients. Stir the ingredients with a spatula to roughly combine, then turn the dough hook onto medium low speed (level 3) and knead for 10 minutes.
6. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let the dough double in size, which should take about 1 hour.
7. Lightly flour the counter-top and spread the dough into an 8x8 inch square.
8. Roll the dough like a cinnamon roll, and pinch the seam closed.
9. Grease a loaf pan with butter, and place the bread roll seam side down into the pan, pressing the dough gently into the sides of the pan.
10. Cover the loaf pan with plastic wrap and let it rise for 30 minutes.
11. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
12. Place a sheet pan on the lowest shelf of the oven. Add enough boiling water to cover the bottom of the sheet pan.
13. Place the loaf pan on the shelf above the water and bake bread for 40-50 minutes or until the internal temperature of bread reaches 190 to 200 degree when measured with an instant read thermometer.
14. Remove from oven and let the bread cool completely on wire rack.
15. Cut into slices and serve.
If the bread gets too brown on top, cover it with a piece of aluminum foil.
Since there are no preservatives, the bread will only keep for a few days at room temperature. You may freeze any unused bread.