1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spray the bottom of a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Whisk or blend the flax water and coffee until frothy.
4. Mix the mashed bananas, olive oil (yogurt/apple sauce), flax and molasses.
5. Mix the dry ingredients - flour, sugar, spices, salt, and baking soda.
6. Combine wet and dry and mix until well blended. Add walnuts
7. Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan.
8. Bake for 55-60 minutes. After 50 minutes check with knife or toothpick by sticking it in the bread. If it comes out clean; its done. If it has some batter on it, cook a little longer. If it still needs to cook longer but is already quite browned, place foil over the top to stop it from browning.
9. Remove and let cool for at least 15 minutes.
10. Slice and serve with coffee or tea. You can spread it with peanut butter or jam if you like.
You can add vegan chocolate chips, carob chips or peanut butter to the bread batter if you like.
A dark, rich, moist and robust yet subtle vegan banana bread with just the right amount of spice, that pairs perfectly with a steamy cup of coffee. It's hard to believe it is vegan!!! Adding a little coffee to the recipe helps bring out the flavor of the bananas. Instead of egg the recipe uses flax seed meal. Butter is substituted with oil. Flaxseed is an amazing food for our bodies providing a lot of nutrients in a tiny package. Enjoy making it and you'll find yourself saying "That's Vegetarian?!"