Herbed Oatmeal Pan Bread
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Rolled oats||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour/Unbleached flour||4 3⁄4 Cup (76 tbs) (Pillsbury's Best)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Packages)|
|For herb topping|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1 Tablespoon|
|Basil leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Oregano leaves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garlic powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Margarine/Butter||6 Tablespoon, melted|
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Grease 13x9-inch baking pan.
3. In a saucepan boil water and stir in rolled oats.
4. Remove from heat and stir in 3 tablespoons of margarine.
5. Cool it to 120 to 130°F.
6. Fill up flour into measuring cup and level off.
7. In a large bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast and blend it well.
8. Add the rolled oats mixture and egg.
9. Blend at low speed until moist and then beat for 3 minutes at medium speed.
10. By hand, stir in 1 3/4 cups to 2 1/2 cups flour to form dough.
11. On floured surface, knead 1/2 to 3/4 cup flour until dough is smooth.
12. Shape the dough into ball and cover with a large bowl.
13. Set aside for 15 minutes.
14. To remove all air bubbles from the dough punch it down several times.
15. Press it into greased pan.
16. Cut diagonal lines 1 1/2 inches apart using a sharp knife, cutting off completely through dough.
17. Repeat on the opposite direction creating diamond pattern.
18. Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap and cloth towel.
19. Set aside in warm place (80 to 85°F.) until light and double in size, about 45 minutes.
20. Uncover dough.
21. By poking the tip of knife into cuts redefine the cuts until knife hits the bottom of pan, but do not pull knife through dough.
22. In a small bowl, mix Parmesan cheese, basil leaves, oregano leaves and garlic powder, put it aside.
23. Add 4 tablespoons of the butter over cut dough.
24. Bake for 15 minutes.
25. Over partially-baked bread, brush the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
26. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese-herb mixture.
27. Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
28. Serve warm or cool.
Calories 676 Calories from Fat 198
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g34.4%
Saturated Fat 4.3 g21.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 37.4 mg12.5%
Sodium 705.5 mg29.4%
Total Carbohydrates 101 g33.6%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.6%
Sugars 9.2 g
Protein 17 g33.3%
Vitamin A 17.6% Vitamin C 0.27%
Calcium 6% Iron 34.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet