Fresh Yeast Currant Bread
|White bread flour||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Butter||4 Ounce (Warm)|
|Warm milk||1⁄2 Pint|
|Mixed dried fruit||8 Ounce|
|Mixed peel||2 Ounce, chopped|
1. Preheat oven to 375°F, 190°C, Gas Mark 5
2. In a large warm bowl, pour in the entire flour, sugar and salt and mix well. Then tip in the yeast after creaming it with a little sugar.
3. Gently fold in the butter and milk to make a soft dough and leave to prove for 1 1/2 hours.
4. Slowly fold in the fruit and peel and then pack the dough into prepared loaf tins or make small balls for buns. Set aside to prove for 45 minutes.
5. Bake for 45 minutes while turning the loaves every 20 minutes. Small buns should be baked for 20 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool on a wire tray. Use a milk and sugar mixture on top of the bun to give a sticky finish.
6. Serve warm or pack in polythene bags or in heavy duty foil for freezing
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5189 Calories from Fat 1859
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 208 g319.7%
Saturated Fat 80.5 g402.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 267.8 mg89.3%
Sodium 949.8 mg39.6%
Total Carbohydrates 690 g229.9%
Dietary Fiber 56.6 g226.5%
Sugars 146.5 g
Protein 157 g314.9%
Vitamin A 78.4% Vitamin C 121.9%
Calcium 48.3% Iron 86.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet