Fresh Yeast Currant Bread
|White bread flour||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Butter||4 Ounce (Warm)|
|Warm milk||1⁄2 Pint|
|Mixed dried fruit||8 Ounce|
|Mixed peel||2 Ounce, chopped|
1. Preheat oven to 375°F, 190°C, Gas Mark 5
2. In a large warm bowl, pour in the entire flour, sugar and salt and mix well. Then tip in the yeast after creaming it with a little sugar.
3. Gently fold in the butter and milk to make a soft dough and leave to prove for 1 1/2 hours.
4. Slowly fold in the fruit and peel and then pack the dough into prepared loaf tins or make small balls for buns. Set aside to prove for 45 minutes.
5. Bake for 45 minutes while turning the loaves every 20 minutes. Small buns should be baked for 20 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool on a wire tray. Use a milk and sugar mixture on top of the bun to give a sticky finish.
6. Serve warm or pack in polythene bags or in heavy duty foil for freezing