Fresh Yeast White Bread
|White bread flour||2 1⁄2 Pound|
|Fresh yeast||1 Ounce|
|Fat||2 Ounce (butter, lard or margarine)|
|Warm water||1 1⁄2 Pint|
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F, 230°C, Gas Mark 8
2. Prepare a large bowl by warming it and then pour in the flour. Prepare a well in the centre of the flour and then sprinkle salt around the edge.
3. In a warm bowl, tip in the water and add the yeast with a little sugar and mix well.
4. Add the rest of the water and warm fat and mix well form dough with a putty like consistency. Set aside to prove as the dough will double in size. Divide the dough into loaf tins and leave to prove again until bread reaches top of tins. Bake for 45 minutes, turning bread once in the oven. Set aside to cool on a rack and leave overnight.
5. Serve warm or pack in polythene bags or in heavy duty foil for freezing.