Light Brown Bread
|Dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 packages)|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (105� - 115� F)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs), scalded|
|Whole wheat flour/Bread flour - 4 cups||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1) Take a bowl and combine warm water and yeast in it. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
2) Grease 2 loaf pans of 9- x 5- x 3-inch dimensions.
3) Preheat oven to 375° F.
4) Take a large mixing bowl and combine together milk, sugar, salt and shortening in it. Stir until shortening melts completely. Cool the mixture to a temperature of 105° - 115° F.
5) Add the yeast mixture and stir well.
6) Add 2 cups bread flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour. Beat with an electric mixer, at medium speed, for about 3 minutes.
7) Add enough of remaining bread flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour to form soft dough.
8) Place dough on a lightly floured floor and knead for about 8-10 minutes or until elastic and smooth.
9) Place dough in a greased bowl and turn the greased side up.
10) Cover and let rise in a warm place (about 85° F), free from drafts, for about 1 hour or until double in bulk.
11) Punch down the dough and let rise for another 20 minutes.
12) Divide the dough into half and shape each half into a loaf. Cover and let rise for about 45 minutes or until double in bulk.
13) Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes or until loaves begin to sound hollow upon being tapped.
14) Remove loaves from pans and cool on wire racks.
15) Slice and serve bread alongside your favorite curry.