Aunt Dolly's Rye Bread
|Rye flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Warm water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Unbleached flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs) (Approximately)|
|Caraway seeds||1 Tablespoon|
1) The oven is preheated to 350 degrees C.
2) The cookie sheet is kept aside, with cornmeal sprinkled on top.
3) Yeast is mixed with malt and water and set aside for about 10 minutes till it bubbles.
4) Rye flour, salt, vinegar and caraway seeds are added to this malt mixture.
5) White flour is added next and mixed to form a soft, non-sticky dough.
6) The dough is kneaded for about 10 minutes (more dough is added, if needed).
7) The dough is made into a ball and kept covered in a bowl.
8) After about 1-2 hours, when the dough doubles, it is shaped into 2 loaves.
9) The loaves are slashed on top.
10) These loaves are placed on the cookie sheet and allowed to rest for about 30 minutes.
11) The leaves are baked for about 50 minutes, till the loaves sound hollow, when they are tapped at the bottom.
12) The bread is sliced while still warm.