|Plain flour||12 Ounce|
|Currants and sultanas||6 Ounce|
|Mixed spice||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Melted butter||1 Ounce|
|Chopped candied peel||1 Ounce|
|Almond paste||2 Ounce|
|Ground almonds||3 Ounce|
|Caster sugar||3 Ounce|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
2. In a bowl add sugar and yeast and cream them using hand blender. Add warmed milk and combine well.
3. Create a well in the center of sieved flour and spice and add the creamed mixture.
4. Knead the mixture together and keep it covered with a damp cloth. Allow the mixture to rise in a warm space for about half an hour.
5. Punch back the dough and knead it well after adding melted butter and dried fruit.
6. Shape the dough into an oblong 10 X 5 in and top it with a 9 ½ inch long sausage shaped almond paste.
7. Spread the dough around almond paste by pressing it around and tuck it underneath to join the loaf.
8. Add the dough to the baking sheet and keep it until it doubles its bulk.
9. Brush milk over the dough and bake in hot oven at 425°F (220°C) for about 10 minutes at Gas Mark 7 and bake for another 45 minutes at 350°F(180°C), at Gas Mark 4 for about 45 minutes until the loaf browns and creates a hollow sound when tapped underside .
10. Allow the loaf to cool and wrap it in a foil.
11. Serve this bread on Easter eve.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2526 Calories from Fat 583
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 67 g102.9%
Saturated Fat 23.5 g117.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 270 mg90%
Sodium 129.8 mg5.4%
Total Carbohydrates 437 g145.6%
Dietary Fiber 23.8 g95.4%
Sugars 137.7 g
Protein 45 g89.8%
Vitamin A 25.1% Vitamin C 181.3%
Calcium 52.8% Iron 27.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet