Honey Rye Bread
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Caraway seeds/Anise seed (optional)||1 Tablespoon|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), scalded|
|Granular yeast/Compressed yeast||30 Gram (2 packages)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light rye flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Sifted flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||2 Tablespoon, melted|
1. Preheat oven to moderately hot, 375°F, 190°c, gas mark 5.
2. Grease two 9x5x3 inches bread tins.
3. Heat the milk until lukewarm and mix honey, salt, shortening and caraway seeds to it.
4. Mix the yeast in warm water.
5. Mix the yeast mixture with milk mixture; add rye flour and 1 cup flour.
6. Mix it thoroughly and add the remaining flour to make stiff dough.
7. Turn out the dough on floured board and let it rest for 10 minutes.
8. Knead it until smooth and elastic.
9. Keep in well greased bowl and turn once to bring greased side up.
10. Cover and keep it in a warm place to rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
11. Turn it out on lightly floured board and divide into 2 equal parts.
12. Shape both the parts into loaves and place in the greased bread tins.
13. Cover and allow rising until doubled, about 30 minutes.
14. Bake in preheated oven for about 50 minutes.
15. Take it out, turn out of pans on racks, brush tops with melted butter or margarine and allow it to cool for about 20-30 minutes.
16. Use as required instead of normal bread.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3350 Calories from Fat 701
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 80 g123.1%
Saturated Fat 30.9 g154.6%
Trans Fat 3.9 g
Cholesterol 98.4 mg32.8%
Sodium 7916.9 mg329.9%
Total Carbohydrates 589 g196.4%
Dietary Fiber 87.6 g350.2%
Sugars 83.7 g
Protein 99 g197.1%
Vitamin A 23.7% Vitamin C 5.9%
Calcium 73.7% Iron 228.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet