|Rolled oats||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (Granular / Compressed, 2 Packages)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), scalded|
|Sifted flour||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to moderately hot, 375°F, 190°c, gas mark 5.
2. Grease two 9x5x3 inches bread tins.
3. In a large bowl mix oats, molasses, salt and shortening, pour boiling water over it and leave it for 10 minutes.
4. Soften yeast in warm water.
5. Cool the milk to lukewarm; add yeast and milk to oats mixture.
6. To this add 1 1/2 cups flour and mix thoroughly.
7. Add flour to make stiff dough.
8. Turn the dough out onto floured board and let it rest for 10 minutes.
9. Knead until smooth and elastic.
10. Place in well greased bowl and turn once to bring greased side up.
11. Cover and keep it in warm place to rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
12. Turn it out on lightly floured board and divide into 2 equal parts.
13. Shape both the parts into loaves.
14. Place in the greased tins, cover, and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
15. Bake in moderate oven (375°) about 50 minutes.
16. Turn out onto cooling racks and let it rest for 20 minutes.
17. Use as required instead of usual white bread.